With proper care and wear, retainers can last for years!
- If you have removable retainers, you will need to wear your retainer at all times for 6 months or so. After that, you will be able to wear your retainers at night time only.
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Always bring your retainer to your retainer appointments.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and always put it back in its case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should ALWAYS be in its case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming or to play sports.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately.