YOUR SMILE IS YOUR FOREVER
and we want to make it as easy as possible
for you to get that Spectacular Smile!
Orthodontic treatment is not just for teens! In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21.
Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term issues costing you more in the end.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- Minor tooth movement since their treatment as teens
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Desire for better oral health and a more confident smile
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of appliances that are comfortable and aesthetic such as Clear Aligners and Ceramic braces.
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
- Completed Growth: the main difference between treating adults is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease): Adults can experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn teeth: Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care.
- Missing teeth: Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tip, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete or Relapse of orthodontic treatment as a teen: Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. Or, may of you have had braces in the past, but you have noticed some shifting over time due to lack of retainer wear.
Our practice recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.